Friday, February 25, 2011

Week 8, Reflections

What a week! I am getting used to the hard work.

I have been pushing really hard to get my project to work as I expected. I am still struggling. Like I mentioned in the Nicenet Class Discussion, things have worked not at the pace I expected. Plus, we have face several constraints while implementing the technological solution. I still believe the idea is good, just kind of too much for the little time we have to put it into practice. I went too far I think. Anyways, I will continue working on perfecting it. Plus, now I know about ANVIL. I think that is just the tool I was looking for since it comprises everything I was using into a tool box , all accessible at the same site. No need to learn and jump from site to site.


I think I overestimated y students’ autonomy. We all are just getting into this new trend. It has to be very step-by-step. It is my fault to a great degree. I kind of expected too much. I wanted them to try everything , but now I see it takes more than 3-4 weeks.
On the other hand, I have heard very good comments about the 2 tools we have been able to use so far, Nicenet Forum and ESL Café Chat Central. Students feel free to express themselves. Plus they just like chatting.
 
I read my partner’s project. I think she is doing a great job. The idea of peer review is excellent. We not only feedback one another, but learn a lot by reading one’s partner’s work

I think time shortage has been a main issue. We all work and that demands a great deal of our time. But I cannot complain about the training. I has been great. I am just kind of oncerned with some classmates, including of course Elsa. We have not heard from her.

2 comments:

  1. I think you project was ambitious, and even if it didn't work out quite as you had planned, there's no need to blame yourself. I've often found that when I'm taking a big step for me, it's usually a leap for my students.

    Learner autonomy is something to strive for but it has to be learned first. I have quite a few students who are far from being autonomous simply because they don't want all the work that comes with being autonomous.

    As far as your project is concerned, I agree with you that ANVILL might have been just the tool to do it with. Maybe that possibility is something that you can add to your project report.

    I've enjoyed this course thoroughly too, but I'm looking forward to that Monday morning not too far away when I have no assignments waiting for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I am in the same situation. I cannot wait for that Monday. I wish I had more time to take full advantage for such a productive learning experience, but my three jobs have been a big burden. Anyways, I will save all the material and review more carefully it later. I am sure I will be using many of those tools in the near future, so that will make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete